Monday, August 28, 2017

The Apple Doesn't Fall Far From the Tree by Gerry Hackney








So many crafts, so little time.  I am a craftaholic.  I inherited the crafting gene from my sweet mother.  Mom was always making something – she crocheted very intricate doilies, sewed quilts and bedspreads, and yes, she even crocheted those beer can hats.  On the weekends, the neighborhood ladies would come over to our house visit, drink coffee, and have crafting sessions.

 


As the saying goes, the apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree.  I began to crochet around age 8, sewing at 12 or 13, got into macramé, tie dye and weaving in my teens.. 




Around the same time that I was into sewing,  I discovered flowers and began my love affair with gardening – a gene I got from both my mom and dad. They grew vegetables, fruits  and flowers that filled the 1/4 acre lot that our house sat on. 
My dad was a Mr. Fix-it type kind of guy.  Never threw anything away because he knew someday he would find a use for it. He upcycled stuff even before there was a word for it. Unfortunately or maybe fortunately, I have a bit of that genetic makeup as well.

These two obsessions, crafting and gardening have melded together and if I’m not doing one, I am doing the other. Housework? Sometimes in my vocabulary.

Funny, growing up how we tried so hard to not be like our parents, and as we get older, we realize, it’s really not so bad after all.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christina Montaruli, My Tilted Canvas

Christina Montaruli is our   newest member of the Las Vegas Crafters Guild.   Welcome Christina!!   A former New Yorker from Long Island   (...