Sunday, June 18, 2017


Destash

This is the definition from the Urban Dictionary:

To sell or trade your existing crafting supplies or 'stash' to allow a crafter to buy different, often newer, materials.

I'm done with knitting, so want to destash my yarn to make way for my new hobby, sewing.

I'm tired of my bead collection. I'm going to destash them on Etsy so that I can buy some new ones.

Crafters could be called hoarders in training.  Or maybe hunters and gatherers?  We all love to play with colors and textures whether it be yarn, fabric, paper, beads, glass, or other craft items.  Who can resist a JoAnn’s or Michael’s sale?   And we all like to try new things, right?
 
Our eyes glaze over at the thought of new craft supplies.  I am guilty of looking at my bead
or fabric stash, getting lost in their patterns, colors, shapes and textures, and then not making a darn thing!   Over the years, and many crafts later – some with good results, some with not so good results, we end up with closets, tubs, and storage cabinets full of stuff! 


So when Cari and Diane announced we would have a Destash Event, it forced us to seriously look at our “hoard” and decide what items we would never use, no longer loved, I forgot why I bought it, and don’t ever want to see again

It was scary what was brought in and many of us admitted to just barely made a dent in our stash..  Christmas print fabric, canvases, scrapbooking frames, jewelry supplies out the ying yang, rolls of fabric, skeins of colorful yarn, stickers, paper, and more.  Yikes!  

At the end of the evening, some of us when home with more than what we brought, others left empty handed and with an obvious sigh of relief.
Another Destashing event is planned in the near future, but this time it will be for an organization that is in need of crafting supplies.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christina Montaruli, My Tilted Canvas

Christina Montaruli is our   newest member of the Las Vegas Crafters Guild.   Welcome Christina!!   A former New Yorker from Long Island   (...